|Study profile:||Master / Business C: Digitization & Entrepreneurship|
|Modul:||Digitale Transformation II|
|Lecture:||Managing Digital Platform Ecosystems|
|Lecturer:||Manuel Wiesche, Vincent Heimburg|
|Size / Credits:||4 SWS / 7,5 Credits|
|Date and Location:|| |
Lecture: Thursday, 10:15 - 11:45, CT ZE 02, starting April 6th
|Planned Guest Lectures:||Firm Elvah, Firm Logarithmo|
No application required. Please email Vincent Heimburg until the day of the first lecture (Thursday the 6th of April) to get access to the moodle course room.
Digital platforms are at the heart of business model change in digital transformation. Companies like Apple, Facebook, Uber and Google, but also Microsoft, SAP, and Salesforce develop ecosystems, where partners develop a plethora of applications to match customer needs on their digital platform.
In this course, students will learn about digital platform ecosystems. The course addresses the managerial challenges in building and scaling platform-based business models and governing the ecosystem surrounding the digital platform. In addition to participating in the lecture, students will conduct a group case work assignment on digital platform ecosystems.
- Evans, D. S. "Some empirical aspects of multi-sided platform industries." Review of Network Economics 2.3 (2003).
- Eisenmann, T, G Parker, and M. W. Van Alstyne. "Strategies for two-sided markets." Harvard business review 84.10 (2006).
- Gawer, A. Platform Dynamics and Strategies: From Products to Services. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2009.
- Hein, A., Schreieck, M., Riasanow, T., Soto Setzke, D., Wiesche, M., Böhm, M., and Krcmar, H. 2020. "Digital platform ecosystems," Electronic Markets (30), pp. 87-98.
- Katz, M. L., and C. Shapiro. "Systems competition and network effects." Journal of economic perspectives 8.2 (1994): 93-115.
- Schreieck, M., Wiesche, M., and Krcmar, H. 2016a. “Design and Governance of Platform Ecosystems - Key Concepts and Issues for Future Research,” 24th European Conference on Information Systems, Istanbul.
- Tiwana, A. ”Platform ecosystems: Aligning architecture, governance, and strategy”. Newnes, 2014.
- Schreieck, M., Wiesche, M., & Krcmar, H. (2021). Capabilities for value co-creation and value capture in emergent platform ecosystems: A longitudinal case study of SAP’s cloud platform. Journal of Information Technology, 36(4), 365-390.
- Schreieck, M., Wiesche, M., & Krcmar, H. (2022). Governing innovation platforms in multi-business organisations. European Journal of Information Systems, 1-22.
- Hurni, T., Huber, T. L., & Dibbern, J. (2022). Power dynamics in software platform ecosystems. Information systems journal, 32(2), 310-343.